Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Wilko Johnson & Roger Daltrey - Tuesday 25th February - Shepherd's Bush Empire

Now I must admit the career of Wilko Johnson has largely passed me by, having not really been too aware of Dr Feelgood's material over the years. Obviously his very sad terminal illness has made the news and the collaboration with Roger Daltrey made this appear to be a fitting event to celebrate his achievements. So, feeling a bit like a gate crasher, it was a bit strange to be amongst the few who didn't know all the words at this show. The venue was also absolutely packed - the busiest I have seen it on the floor for some time, making us wonder if there were some interlopers with seated tickets!

Wilko started off on is own and looked good (remarkable in fact for a man with his condition). His "trademark" is obviously the speedy glide around the stage - very effective.

After a while, Roger Daltrey appeared and they rattled through the songs from the new album (Going Back Home). Playing and vocals were excellent and the crowd appreciative. In fact, I'm doing Daltrey a disservice - vocals were fantastic. Let's hope he keeps using that voice to good effect for a few more years yet.

Setlist
All Right
Barbed Wire Blues
The More I Give
Dr. Dupree
When I'm Gone
Roxette
[with Roger Daltrey from here onwards]
Going Back Home
I Keep It to Myself
Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window?
Keep on Loving You
Some Kind of Hero
Ice on the Motorway
Sneakin' Suspicion
Everybody's Carrying a Gun
Keep It Out of Sight
All Through the City
I Can't Explain
+
I Keep It to Myself (2nd play)



No comments: