Monday, July 22, 2019

Ealing Blues Festival - Sunday 21st July - Ealing

Nick Lowe
Second festival of the weekend - in Ealing for some "blues". Bad Influence get things off to a decent start. I also get to see a bit of Tim Stafell (ex Smile - pre Queen) and The Eel Pie All Stars before the early evening headliner - Nick Lowe.

The affable Mr Lowe jokes about getting the bus to the festival and about feeling a bit of a fraud, because "although I love the blues, I just write pop songs. Is it OK if I play some?". Of course it is and his acoustic performance enthrals the crowd for the next 75 minutes. Highlights include "I Knew the Bride" and "(What's So Funny About) Peace, Love and Understanding". All good stuff.

Bad Influence (with daughter Jess Hayes)
Evening headliners were "Who's Next". I have seen them before, but was surprised that they ventured toward the more "hardcore" elements of a Who set, based around "Live At Leeds" at a festival. To be fair, "Tattoo", "Fortune Teller" and "Heaven and Hell" can be heavy going for all but the hardened Who fans.

Tim Stafell & Paul Stewart Band
Anyway, after 7 hours on my feet, I headed to the exit as they approach their encore. Regrettably this meant I apparently missed "Long Live Rock". Ho, hum... next time maybe. And I will be back for the Ealing Festival - really impressed by layout and organisation.

Who's Next

The Eel Pie All Stars

No comments: